The history of the Department of Polymer Engineering Technology, as well as the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, goes back to 1871, when the Mechanical Engineering Section at József Technical University was founded, and within this the Department of Mechanical Technology. Ágoston PILCH was the first Head of the department until 1888 then Sándor REJTŐ succeeded him and led the department until 1924. Sándor REJTŐ was the Dean of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering between 1901-1902, then the Rector of the University between 1920-1921. In 1912 he was a corresponding member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, and in 1923 he became a member of the Academy. His main field of science was materials testing. He conducted extensive research into the metal, wood, textile, paper, and milling industry. On the basis of his lecture notes his 4 volume-masterpiece, The Principles of Theoretical Mechanical Technology was published in the twenties. His book about textile technology remained the bible of textile engineers for several decades. After him, Vilmos MISÁNGYI ran the Dep. of Mechanical Technology between 1924-1945, then Ödön VAJDA followed him in the years 1945-1947. An independent department for textile technology was founded for the first time in 1948.