Electron beam evaporation system for special transparent barrier, high quality decorative application
A wide variety of different metals and oxides can be evaporated with Applieds high-power electron beam evaporation. This process offers the highest coating speed of all vacuum coating processes. For high coating thickness uniformity a closed-loop inline control system both in transverse and machine direction is mandatory. This requirement is fulfilled with ESCOSYS™ in combination with the advanced inline measurement system.
- Unique high power electron beam process, for a wide variety of coating materials, like various metals, multi-layers or Oxides as e.g. SiOx in coating widths up to 2,850mm - Top quality transparent barrier layers for e.g. packaging applications - Patented ESCOSYS™ in-line production control system
Thermal boat evaporation system for Al and AlOx flexible barrier layers
With a coating speed of up to 20 meters per second, unparalleled productivity and winner of numerous design awards, the TopMet represents true excellence in engineering. Applied Materials web coating products with more than 60 years of experience and over 700 systems installed worldwide, lead the market of roll-to-roll vacuum coating and metallizing solutions.
- Dual process, configurable for metallic-and AlOx-ECON transparent-deposition up to 4450mm coating width - Vacuum metallizer with proven technology combining highest flexibility, productivity, quality, etc. - High rate evaporation for superior productivity - Advanced substrate pre- and post- treatment options
Thermal boat evaporation system plus inline TopCoat for Al and AlOx flexible barrier and organic topcoat, with or without high energy plasma assisted deposition.
Two advanced AlOx processes and option for organic top-coating
- The AlOx-ECON process minimizes capital cost while producing 15-20 nanometer thin, clear barrier coatings on PET substrates - The AlOx-HAD (Hollow Cathode Activated Deposition) process adopts a plasma-assisted deposition, developed in conjunction with the Fraunhofer Institute for Organic Electronics, Electron Beam and Plasma Technology FEP in Germany, depositing typically 10 nanometer thin layers with excellent barrier properties on a wide range of plastic packaging films with “glass like” transparency of the AlOx layer. Both processes integrate Applied Materials robust patented evaporator boat design, winding system, and in-line control system for layer thickness monitoring. Together, these innovations generate uniform AlOx layers with higher barrier performance and higher transparency.
Evaporation system based on induction heated crucibles
The TopCoil™ platform complements Applied Materials evaporation portfolio with induction heated crucible technology. This is a solution for applications demanding aggressive, low defect performance and also enables depositing a wide range of materials
- TopCoil™ enables a wide range of applications beyond traditional (food) packaging by induction heated crucibles - Virtually pinhole-free without significant compromise on web speed combined with improved layer uniformity - TopCoil™ allows evaporating and depositing a wide variety of metals and metal-oxide such as: Al, Zn, Ag, Cu, Cr, ZnS , Oxides,… - Innovative inductor design allows closer proximity of sources to each other with reduced interference - Stable process at increased speeds up to 10 – 14m/sec
Product category: Printing equipment for plastic and rubber products
Inline printing system for segmented metallization
Our vacuum metallizer features inline printing of both grey-scale and patterned structures on polymeric substrates and paper, eliminating a process step while at the same time enabling differentiated packaging.
- Vacuum metallizer with Inline Printing on polymeric substrates and paper - In-situ printing of grey-scale and patterned structures (1m printing width) up to 10m/sec - “Staggered Evaporation Boat” design improves coating uniformity - Optimized power control for extended evaporator boat lifetime ad improved coating quality - Substrate pre-treatment with TreatMag™ for improved layer adhesion and barrier properties - Substrate winding with adjustable spreader roller and options for edge control and oscillating rewinder
Electron beam evaporation system for security application
Based on more than 35 years of experience with electron beam web coating and sputtering web coating, the TopBeam™ 1100S system combines the advantages of both process worlds:
- Electron beam evaporation offers the highest coating speed of all vacuum coating processes. Compared to sputtering, the coating speed for oxides can be a factor of 100 to several thousand times higher. For high coating thickness uniformity a closed-loop inline control system both in transverse and machine direction is mandatory. This requirement is fulfilled with ESCOSYS™ in combination with the appropriate in-line measurement system. With electron beam evaporation a wide variety of different metals and oxides can be evaporated. For materials specified in the TopBeam™ system, type and shape of the respective evaporation crucibles are optimized. - Sputtering processes offer an even higher variety of different coating materials than electron beam evaporation, and for metallic sputtering processes the transverse coating thickness uniformity is more or less inherent.
The TopBeam™ 1100S system is the optimum solution for layer stacks consisting of thick oxide layers and thin metal layers. The coating speeds for the single layers can be fitted to each other and both layers can be produced with single-pass coating. For other cases, or for more complex layer stacks, the reversible winding system can be used.
Roll-to-roll sputter coating system for flexible electronics and optical multilayers
- Complete scalability from R&D to production - Web widths from 400mm (SmartWeb SL) to 1400mm (SmartWeb XL) - 3 (SmartWeb SL) to 12 (SmartWeb XL) deposition sources in a single pass - Planar and rotary cathodes, DC and AC processes - Superior coating quality - In-line metrology - Rapid loading and unloading of substrate rolls - Low cost of ownership
Field proven roll-to-roll sputter systems for window films on vehicles and buildings
- IR reflection coatings with high transmittance in the visible spectrum on flexible substrates - Improves product quality with thickness non-uniformity less than ±1.5% - Increases production efficiency. Established, stable process result in high yield - Lowers costs per m, providing high throughput with high yield - Reduces waste of expensive substrates by in-line scanning optical measurement - For sputter coated window films for automotive glass applications, multi-layer stacks of oxides and metals reduce the heat load from the sun.