Keeping abreast of the competition requires expertise, flexibility but, above all, innovative strength. Successful companies not only master leading-edge technology, but play an active role in setting tomorrow’s trends and anticipating future visions. The K trade show is the most important international innovation platform for the plastics and rubber industry. Hosted in Düsseldorf/Germany at tri-annual intervals, it presents experts from the industry with the complete range of raw materials, processing and application technology and offers a global overview of the latest technical solutions, pioneering developments and new approaches. At K 2019, hosted from 16 until 23 October 2019, more than 3,000 exhibitors as well as the „Plastics shape the future“ special show and the Science Campus will present the key topics that will be dominating the developments in the global plastics and rubber market during the coming years.
A panel of high-ranking experts, the Science Council of K 2019, will compile the key topics. At its first meeting, which recently took place in Düsseldorf, the Council analysed future topics and discussed how the trade show could set the course for their implementation. The Science Council is comprised of the following members:
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Christian Bonten, University of Stuttgart, Head of the Institute of Polymer Technology (IKT)
- Prof. Dr. Ulrich Giese, German Institute of Rubber Technology (DIK) Hannover, Executive Board and Managing Director
- Univ.-Prof. Dr.-Ing. Christian Hopmann, RWTH Aachen, Head of the Institute of Plastics Processing (IKV)
- o.Univ.Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Dr.mont. Reinhold W. Lang, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Institute for Polymer Materials and Testing
- Prof. Dr. Rolf Mülhaupt, University of Freiburg, Institute of Macromolecular Chemistry
- Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Bernhard Rieger, Technical University of Munich, WACKER-Chair of Macromolecular Chemistry
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Alois K. Schlarb, University of Kaiserlautern, Department of Composite Engineering
- Prof. Dr. Hans-Werner Schmidt, University of Bayreuth, Department for Macromolecular Chemistry I
The scientists are supported by Dr. Rainer Büschl, Chairman of the K 2019 Concepts Committee, Dr. Rüdiger Baunemann, Regional Director PlasticsEurope Deutschland, and Michael Herrmann, Regional Director PlasticsEurope Deutschland. PlasticsEurope is spearheading the “Plastics shape the future“ special show, a project initiated by the German plastics industry and Messe Düsseldorf. Similar to the Science Campus and the Forum for Science and Research, the special show enhances the K 2019 trade show events. The key topics that will be addressed by the special show and the Science Campus in panel discussions, presentations and by means of selected exhibits, will be defined within the next months. They will focus on innovative materials and technologies with a substantial impact on global challenges such as water, energy and waste management, resource efficiency, digitization and sustainable development.