From the mechanic’s workshop to the world market leader: 175 years in fast motion
Starlinger has already been active in mechanical engineering since 1835 when it traded under the name of Franz Laubek. Since then it has evolved from a company specializing in stationary steam engines and drive elements to an important supplier to the textile industry.
Under the management of Franz Starlinger in the 1920s to the 1940s the company still focused on the Austrian textile industry and supplied high-quality winders and auxiliary machines such as lace and trimming machines. The foundation for today’s corporation, however, was laid in 1959 when the company was taken over by Erna and Franz Xaver Starlinger-Huemer.
The gradual internationalization of the company began when the first export-oriented product was introduced: circular looms for weaving fabric from plastic tapes which revolutionized the standards at that time. During the following decades the portfolio around that core product was constantly extended, from tape extrusion lines in the year 1990 and recycling lines in 2000 up to PET reprocessing lines in 2005. Today Starlinger is a globally recognized supplier in the field of flexible woven plastic packaging and leader in the area of PET recycling and PET refinement. In 2007 Starlinger’s achievements for the Austrian economy were acknowledged by being awarded the Austrian export price in the category “Industry”.
Offices in Chicago and Greenville (USA), New Delhi (India), Moscow (Russia), Beijing and Taicang (China), as well as in São Paulo (Brazil) emphasize how important it is for Starlinger to be close to their customers.
The Starlinger Group was formed by taking over companies from similar branches, starting with MAPLAN in Ternitz in 1991, SML in Lenzing in 1995 and the German Georg Sahm GmbH in Eschwege in 2002. Today it employs more than 920 persons and achieves an annual turnover of about 250 million euros.
2010: Anniversary, record turnover, new products
“The year after the global financial and economic crisis is not only our anniversary year but also the year with the highest turnover in the company’s 175 year long history”, says Angelika Huemer, managing partner and daughter of the late Franz X. Starlinger Huemer who deceased in 2002, proudly. “Our order books are full until well into the next year. Already at the beginning of the fiscal year 2010/2011 we therefore introduced a second shift in the factory in Austria and increased the product diversity for the Asian market in our factory in Taicang, China.”
It is no coincidence that attributes such as technology leadership, world market leader and only turnkey plant supplier worldwide are mentioned in connection with Starlinger. Starlinger’s customers are used to always getting the latest and most innovative products. The year 2010, too, is characterized by a number of new products, some of which were developed in collaboration with renowned international partners such as SABIC, Haver & Boecker and Dow Chemical as well as the Turkish producer of printing machines, REMAK. “The product life cycle of our machines and plants is often substantially longer than in comparable branches. Nevertheless, we will be able to introduce completely new or advanced products in almost every field in autumn 2010. At the upcoming K 2010 our visitors will certainly be in for a surprise or two”, Angelika Huemer continues. “Also in this regard the year 2010 should become a milestone in the company’s history.”
All innovations will be presented in autumn at the International Plastics Trade Fair K 2010 in Düsseldorf, Germany (October 27 – November 3, 2010) in hall 16B47 and 9D21, and in the course of Starlinger’s in-house exhibition from October 25 to November 5, 2010 in Weissenbach/Triesting, Austria.