UV technology represents one of the major innovations in the development of polymers, in the UV process high-intensity ultraviolet light is used to cross-link resins in varnishes or inks. During conventional cross-linking hot air fosters the aggregation of polymers in the solvent, which evaporates due to the high temperature.
The cross-linking process occurs thanks to a beam of ultraviolet light activating some substances (called photoinitiators) that are present in the product; these trigger off a reaction of polymerization, which occurs in a very short span of time (1-2 seconds).
Helios Italquartz S.r.l. manufactures UV curing lamps up to 2,5 meter length with power ratings range from 80 Watt/cm up to 300 Watt/cm.
All the lamps produced by Helios Italquartz S.r.l. are available with different specifications/configurations and in Normal quartz or Ozone-Free quartz.
Helios Italquartz S.r.l. can produce UV high pressure lamps suitable for almost all of existing UV curing equipment; in the following lines there is a list of information needed for the spare parts service:
Electrical data (Power [W], input tension [V0 - VL] or input current [A0 - AL]) Arc length Total length of the lamp (with caps) Tube diameter Length of the wires and what kind of electrical connection you need Ozone producing lamp Yes/No Type of caps (sketch) Reference Nr of the lamp to substitute
The IR Fast Medium Wave radiation is positioned in the range of 1,4 e 1,6 μm.
Helios Italquartz can design and realize the right IR emitter with the peak of radiation centered on the maximum absorption of the IR radiation of the material to be heated; this allows you to obtain the most efficient heating process with the less energy consumption.
The IR Fast Medium Wave emitter, is the optimal compromise when one specific application requires at the same time the IR radiation of the Medium Wave emitters and the fast response time in the switching on/off proper of the Short Wave emitters.
Helios Italquartz Technical Department can realize twin tube IR emitters with different filament configuration.
This allows extraordinary flexibility both in terms of heated area modularity and lead wire position.
Helios Italquartz thanks to its long track record and wide set of products always in stock, can advise the customer choosing the right emitters for the specific application.
Furthermore the Technical Department can also design the IR Fast Medium Wave filament with a peak that covers the wavelength range from 1,7 up to 2,0 μm and manufacture the emitter based on the customer’s specific technical instructions:
• total length of the emitter (max. 6500 mm.)
• length of the heating part (max 6300 mm.)
• filament and ending configuration
The main characteristics of IR Fast Medium Wave Emitters are:
- Twin tube standard cross section
• 18 x 8 mm • 23 x11 mm • 34 x15 mm
- Single tube standard cross section
• 8 x 10 mm • 10 x13 mm • 15 x18 mm
- Radiation peak in the range of 1,4 - 1,6μm; 50 W/cm maximum density of nominal power (to be verified in prototype phase) and 130 kW/m2 maximum surface power density;
- Horizontal working position but on request there is also the possibility to design and realize vertical working emitters;
- Possibility to apply a reflector directly on the quartz tube, to better convey and focus all the energy emitted on the material;
INFRARED twin tube and single tube medium wave emitters
The IR Medium Wave radiation is positioned in the range of 2,2 e 3,2 μm.
Helios Italquartz can design and realize the right IR emitter with the peak of radiation centered on the maximum IR radiation absorbance of the material to be heated; this allows to obtain the most efficient heating process with the less energy consumption.
The IR Medium Wave emitters are particularly suitable for the fast heating of surface parts or thin thickness materials.
Plastic, water and other solvents absorb particularly well the radiation at this wavelength.
Helios Italquartz Technical Department can realize twin tube IR emitters with different filament configuration. This allows an extraordinary flexibility both in term of heated area modularity and cables position.
IR Medium Wave single tube emitter although technologically outdated by the twin tubes emitters in some circumstances are considered still very useful, efficient and reliable thanks to the easier installation and lower production cost.
Helios Italquartz, thanks to its long track record and wide set of products always in stock, can advise the customer choosing the right emitters for the specific application. Furthermore the Technical Department can also design the emitter based on the customer’s specific technical instructions:
• total length of the emitter (max. lenght 6500 mm.)
• length of the heating part (max lenght 6300 mm.)
• filament and ending configuration
TECHNICAL DATAS - IR MEDIUM WAVE EMITTERS:
- Twin tube standard section
• 18 x 9 mm • 22 x10 mm • 33 x16 mm
- Single tube standard selection:
• 10 x 12 mm • 14 x18 mm • 19 x26 mm
- Radiation peak in the range of 2,2 - 3,2μm; 35 W/cm maximum density of nominal power (to be verified in prototype phase) and 60 kW/m2 maximum surface power density;
- Filament Response time to Switch on /off between 30 and 70 seconds
- Long lifetime of the emitter
- Horizontal working position but on request there is also the possibility to design and realize vertical working emitters
- Possibility to apply a reflector directly on the quartz tube, to better convey and focus all the energy emitted on the material
Helios Italquartz S.r.l. since 1940, is specialized in the production of quartz glass items, quartz based scientific equipments and ultraviolet (UV) lamps. Helios is one of the worldwide leaders in infrared (IR) quartz emitters production in single and twin tube emitters in short, medium and fast medium wavelength.
The picture on the left shows all the radiation intensity curves for halogen, short wave, medium and fast medium wave emitters.
The IR heaters, if compared with traditional heating systems that use the hot air, emit more energy for unit surface and this energy could be focused, concentrated, directed and reflected just like the light.
The use of this t echnology can give enormous benefits in order of:
• Speed heati ng process : IR quartz emitters need short time to switch on and switch off (few seconds); this fact reduces the time of operation and optimizes the homogeneity of the heating up of the mat erial;
• Energy saving and less heat generati on in the surrounding area: due to the fast switch on of the IR emitters, it is possible to start them and concentrate the heat only where and when it is r eally necessary;
• Easy control of the emitters: the emitters can be controlled by wave modulators or they can work in simply ON/OFF way;
• Absence of direct contact with the material and no surrounding area contamination: working by the radiation, IR emitters do not need to be in contact with the material to be heated;
• Smaller sizes and dimensions of IR quartz heating modules and ovens respect of traditional hot air heating equipments: the small dimension of the IR quartz emitters and their convenient shape simplify the machinery construction design and the maintenance process of the heating area.
Helios Italquartz IR quartz emitters are made by a quartz tube with a filament inside.
The choice of quartz glass is not a coincidence, in fact this extraordinary material is totally transparent at IR radiation, can stand constant working temperature of more than 1000°C and it is chemical agents resistant.
Helios Italquartz uses two kinds of quartz tubes to host the filament: single tube and twin tube.
The twin tube provides the best mechanical resistance, thanks to its reverse “H” shape, and it allows to manufacture emitters up to 6,5 meters in length.
To better convey and focus on the material all the energy emitted by the lamp, it is possible to apply a special reflector directly on the quartz tube.
The reflectors usually applied by Helios Italquartz on its emitters are the following:
1. gold reflector is a gold layer, fixed directly on the quartz tube. It’s able to reflect more than 90% of IR radiation and if properly cooled it can reach the working temperature of about 600°C;
2. white reflector is a with ceramic layer, fixed directly on the quartz tube. It’s able to reflect about the 70% of IR radiation, so it is less effective compared to the gold one , but it can resist up to a working temperature of about 900 - 1000°C;
3. ruby reflector is used to mitigate the IR radiation intensity of the filament. It is usually fixed all over the quartz tube in combination with another reflector;
The use of a coating reflectors on the quartz emitter tube has many advantages in term of improved energy transferred on the material, with the result of a faster heating process. Through the appropriate reciprocal positioning of the emitters inside the machinery and their distance from the product to be heated it is possible to obtain an additional increase of the irradiated energy.
Thanks to the great experience in the production of IR lamps and in the processing of quartz glass items, Helios Quartz is able to manufacture infrared emitters in various IR wavelengths (medium wave, short wave and medium-fast) with non-linear shape in single and twin quartz tube:
• circular shape omega emitter; • oval shape emitter; • linear IR lamps but with the cables connection 90° with respect to the body of the lamp; • 3D contoured shape also according to the profile of the object to be heated; • serpentine infrared emitters.
Special Circular or Oval Shape emitters are very convenient because is possible to heat an object in tubular form using one single IR lamp.
Regarding special shape profile IR lamps that follow the contour of the object to be heated, Helios is able to design, develop and produce in-house graphite forms to support the production of the lamp body, providing the customer the finished product.
These types of lamps are particularly appreciated for applications in the automotive industry in welding, bending, thrmoforming and heating of pipes and plastic parts.
The IR and UV radiation present in sunlight is responsible for almost all processes of photo-degradation of durable materials exposed to the external environment. The types of damage include color change, loss of gloss, chalking, cracking, crazing, hazing, blistering, weakness, loss of strength, oxidation, etc. ..
Since 1950 Helios Quartz produces INVE equipment providing customers a reliable and professional solution for Accelerated Ageing Test of any material that is exposed to the Sun Light.
INVE equipment has been developed and continuously improved thanks to the close cooperation between Helios Italquartz R&D dept. and research centers, universities and private companies’ laboratories.
The device INVE over the decades has had great success thanks to its ease of use, low purchase price and low cost of use, now it boasts excellent references in more than twenty countries on four continents (Europe, North and South America and Asia).
INVE 2000, the latest version available in the market, is widely used and appreciated by customers to define, through laboratory testing, the degree of aging for any material, in solid or liquid form. The laboratory testing provides real-life data to materials that are normally exposed to the natural sunlight by exposing it to ultraviolet and infrared artificial radiation sources.
The version INVE 2000 maintains the excellent quality/price ratio, which allows the purchase at a very affordable price by small laboratories or anywhere quality control is needed.
The test is performed by subjecting the materials to a uniform and constant irradiation with an aging power from 30 to 50 times higher than the intensity of the solar rays, obtaining consequently a fast and clear feedback about the reaction and deterioration rate of the materials tested.
The IR Short Wave radiation is positioned in the range of 1,1 e 1,4 μm.
Helios Quartz can design and realize the right IR emitter with the peak of radiation centered on the maximum absorption of the IR radiation of the material to be heated; this allows to obtain the most efficient heating process with the less energy consumption.
The IR Short Wave emitter is characterized by high heating power and it is particularly recommended in those cases where is important to have a fast response switching on and off time.
Helios Quartz Technical Department can realize twin tube IR emitters with different filament configuration; this allows an extraordinary flexibility both in term of heated area modularity and cables position.
Helios Quartz can also produce IR Short Wave single tube emitters.
Helios, thanks to its long track record and wide set of products always in stock, can advise the customer to choose the right emitters for the specific application. Furthermore the Technical Department can also design any IR quartz emitter based on the customer’s specific technical instructions:
• total length of the emitter (max. 6500 mm.) • length of the heating part (max. 6300 mm.) • filament and ending configuration • power • voltage