The Innovation Compass, a successful way of structuring and highlighting the abundance of new products and processes presented at the fair in Düsseldorf, was showered with accolades its first time around at K 2010. And now it’s time to define the key themes and adapt the search matrix for innovations for K 2013. A panel of experts – the K 2013 Innovation Circle – is currently doing the groundwork.
The Innovation Compass first went live some six weeks before K 2010 at http://www.k-online.de/. With the aid of a search matrix, users were able to identify those exhibitors presenting significantly improved or thoroughly overhauled products and processes in clearly defined fields of application. This made it possible for trade fair visitors to individually plan their trip to the exhibition centre and make efficient use of their stay. The search system was backed up by lead articles on forward-looking developments in raw materials/auxiliaries and machinery/equipment.
The K 2013 Innovation Circle, whose purpose is to develop the Innovation Compass further, is composed of representatives of the Exhibitors Council and Messe Düsseldorf along with the newly appointed Scientific Council. The latter’s members are:
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Christian Bonten, University of Stuttgart
- Prof. Dr. Ulrich Giese, German Institute of Rubber Technology
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Christian Hopmann, RWTH Aachen University
- Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Dr. Reinhold W. Lang, Johannes Keppler University of Linz
- Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Bernhard Rieger, TU München (Technical University of Munich)
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Alois Schlarb, University of Kaiserslautern
- Prof. Dr. Hans-Werner Schmidt, University of Bayreuth
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Johannes Wortberg, University of Duisburg-Essen
The new search matrix of the Innovation Compass will be finalised in the second half of 2012 and the key themes will be presented by each of the scientists responsible, with publication at the K 2013 website http://www.k-online.de/. This is also where the CVs of the members of the Scientific Council have already been posted. Exhibitors at K 2013 will have access to the Innovation Compass as of summer next year. Companies whose products and processes make innovative contributions to the key themes are eligible for inclusion and thus have the chance to present their capabilities. The exhibitor entries will be accessible to visitors to K 2013 from September 2013.