Van Dorn Demag has long boasted one of the biggest installed machine bases in North America, an understandable claim given that its very first molding machines came off the production line at the old E. 79th St. plant in Cleveland in 1945. But perhaps just as impressive, is its installed people base.
That is folks who in some way, shape, or form are tied to the commercial descendants of the Cleveland Wrought Iron Fence Co. founded in 1872 by Jas. H. Van Dorn. Forget six degrees of Kevin Bacon, next time you're at a plastics show try playing 3 degrees of Van Dorn Demag.
That installed people base noted with some pride the grand re-opening of the Strongsville, OH plant celebrated on April 10. Just six years earlier, in June 2007, the then Demag Plastics Group announced that it would cease the manufacture of machines in Strongsville, ending seven decades of press fabrication in Ohio. From that low, and the calamitous years that followed, the company re-opened its doors as a reinvented unit of Sumitomo (SHI) Demag, even bringing back the Van Dorn Demag name....